Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Dionysos Merlot

 


    Tonight's selection was yet another complex delight.  Despite the fact that I've been slowly learning to enjoy dry wines, Merlot is one that has grown on me a little faster than some.  This one was no exception.  It proved to be a delicious Merlot and showed me exactly why this grape is quickly becoming one of my favorite reds, or dare I even say purple?  The hues get so deep and sultry in the manner that purple can seem to take.  I do so enjoy it.

    The moment I opened the bottle, I felt certain I was in for a treat.  I grabbed one of my larger red glasses to truly capture the bouquet of the wine.  Upon first whiff, I was immediately entranced and thought to myself "I know this smell."  I made my way to my closet where I began to sniff my leather jackets tucked in the back.  It was precisely that.  I had picked up on the leather notes and returned to confirm the dark fruits that accompanied which I believe to be cherries.  My six-year-old daughter confirmed my suspicions when her nose led her to believe it smelled of "grapes and cherries."  Of course, we have to both be correct about the cherries.  There is no doubt about that note there.

    It was my first Grecian wine.  Coming from Peloponnese, Greece, it hides in the Southern peninsula that seems to be a tourist hot spot with all it's beautiful seaside (or gulf side?) beaches.  Apparently, the Olympic games were held within this region and there are plenty of other ties to the mythological stories that the Greeks are so known for.

    Speaking of Greek mythology which used to be a passion of mine as I read the Percy Jackson stories in elementary and middle school, the wine itself is named after the God of wine.  I believe it does it's best to live up to the Gods standards.  Interestingly enough, Dionysus (or Dionysos like the wine) was also once known as the God of fertility according to my research.

    Enough of the mythology, though, we're here to discuss wine.  This merlot isn't your typical standard of merlot, but it still allows you to connect the dotes and identify it as such.  I really just enjoyed the excitement of identifying the leather and just running to my closet to confirm my suspicion.  That was just such a proud moment for me.  It had a very simple grape juice start to it and as it slid over my tongue, there was only a slight dryness that left it still attractive to me.  I can't stand when a wine turns my tongue into sandpaper.  This one kept things light and easy, though, despite it's dark nature.  I was left feeling very satisfied.  I hope one day you too can enjoy a Grecian Merlot of such delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notorious Pink Grenache Rose

      This bottle is meant to go on my wall of fame.  Some day I'll have to share a picture of that as I put all of my favorite bottles ...